|Click on image above to view the video.|
Summer Research Experiences (SRE) at NIMBioS for Undergraduates and Teachers
Looking for a fun and challenging summer research experience? The Summer Research Experiences (SRE) at NIMBioS for Undergraduates and Teachers provides undergrads in math, biology and related fields, as well as high school teachers in mathematics and biology, the opportunity to conduct research in teams with UT professors, NIMBioS researchers, and collaborators on projects at the interface of math and biology. During this eight-week summer program, undergraduates live on the UT-Knoxville campus and work in collaborative teams on a variety of biological research projects using mathematical methods. The topics change each year and cover a range of life science areas including disease and health, evolution, ecology, molecular biology and more. Students receive a stipend, apartment-style housing, travel support to Knoxville, and more. U.S. high school math and biology teachers and pre-service teachers are also encouraged to apply.
The 2014 SRE
Dates for next summer's program will be June 9 through August 1, 2014.
Click here for more information about the 2014 SRE Program.
About the Program
- Opportunities: Work with world-class researchers, do original research, and present your results at a professional conference
- Skill-building and Career-Oriented: Workshops are provided to build all participants' skills in mathematical modelling and software such as R and/or Matlab as well as sessions on careers and graduate school.
- Teamwork: Bring all your skills for working in a team – students with different areas of expertise, experience and cultural backgrounds will work together and collaboration is key.
- Full-time: As an internship, participants are expected to put in 40 hours a week of effort and be available to work with their team members every day. Exceptions must be approved in advance.
- Challenging: Focus, dedication, positive attitude and good humor are expected of all participants to ensure a rewarding experience for all.
- Fun: Read all about it from our past participants. Besides enjoying working with an enthusiastic group, social activities will include dinner parties, picnics and trips to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
In past years, some teams have included veterinary students in a concurrent Research Experiences for Veterinary Students (REV) program. This program is not available at this time.
Participants in past programs have presented their NIMBioS work at regional and national conferences and prepared manuscripts for publication (listed here).
For further information about the program, please contact Kelly Sturner, Education and Outreach Coordinator, NIMBioS (Email: ksturner_at_nimbios.org) or Dr. Suzanne Lenhart, Associate Director for Education and Outreach, NIMBioS (Email: lenhart_at_math.utk.edu).