Requests for NIMBioS Support
Overview. Read our overview page to learn about the types of research we promote, who should apply, and expectations for NIMBioS researchers, including acknowledgment formats, how to report your publications and products, and instructions for organizers of NIMBioS Working Groups and Investigative Workshops.
Click here for a listing of current opportunities for participation and support.
Categories of Requests for Support. NIMBioS supports a range of scientific activities across the spectrum of synthetic research in mathematics and biology. NIMBioS currently invites applications from the following categories:
- Working Groups focus on major well-defined scientific questions at the interface between biology and mathematics that require insights from diverse researchers.
- Investigative Workshops focus on a broader topic or a set of related topics, summarizing/synthesizing the state of the art and identifying future directions.
- Postdoctoral Fellows propose synthetic projects that require an amalgam of mathematical and biological approaches.
- Short-term Visitors are supported to work on-site at NIMBioS for periods up to one week to foster synthetic research at the interface between mathematics and biology.
- Self-supported Visitors. NIMBioS provides office space and a collaborative scientific environment for self-supported visitors for visits of up to several months duration, with the length of stay determined by the objectives of the proposed project.
- Graduate Assistantships are open to current UTK/UTIA graduate students working at the interface between mathematics and biology.
Application Deadlines. Requests for NIMBioS support for working groups and investigative workshops are considered twice per year, with deadlines on March 1 and September 1 for activities beginning 6 months later. Applications may be submitted at other times under unusual circumstances, after consultation with the Director. Decisions about applications will generally be made within two months of the submission deadline.