NSF Mathematics Institutes Present
Spring Opportunities Workshop for Women in the Mathematical Sciences
April 9-11, 2014
NIMBioS, at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
This workshop will familiarize women in the mathematical sciences with professional opportunities in academics, industry and government labs and help them thrive in mathematics-related fields.
Graduate students and PhD's in the early stages of their post-graduate careers are invited to apply to attend. Support is available for travel and lodging to the workshop, and registration is free. The workshop is expected to start at 3 p.m. on April 9 and end in the afternoon of April 11.
Speakers, panelists and discussion leaders will be women in research and management positions in industry and government labs as well as women in academia. Participants are encouraged to present a poster on their research.
Workshop Agenda (pdf)
Featuring Talks, Panels and Breakout Groups led by:
- Julia Barnes, Western Carolina Univ., Leadership of NExT program
- Susmita Datta, Professor, Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Univ. of Louisville, President of the Caucus for Women in Statistics (2013-14)
- Nicole Else-Quest, Assistant Professor and Associate Chair, Psychology and Affiliate Assistant Professor, Gender & Women's Studies, Univ. of Maryland, Baltimore County
- Kate Evans, Scientist, Computational Earth Sciences, Oak Ridge National Laboratory,
- Sarah Fleming, Belmont Univ.
- Christine Heitsch, Associate Professor of Mathematics, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Amy Herring, Professor, Biostatistics, UNC –Chapel Hill
- Mary Ann Horn, Program Officer, Division of Mathematical Sciences, National Science Foundation and Adjoint Professor, Vanderbilt Univ.
- Gretchen Matthews, Professor, Clemson Univ.
- Helen Moore, Senior Scientific Consultant, Certara, Sunnyvale CA
- Bonnie Ray, Research Staff Member, IBM Watson Research Center
Sponsored by: NIMBioS (National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis), SAMSI (Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute), and the NSF Mathematical Sciences Diversity Committee, in cooperation with the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM).
The application period is now closed.
Descriptive flyer (pdf)
Spring Opportunities Workshop 2014 Organizing Committee:
Ruth Charney, Brandeis University and President of AWM
Snehalata Huzurbazar, University of Wyoming, North Carolina State University, and SAMSI
Suzanne Lenhart, University of Tennessee and NIMBioS
Joan Lind, University of Tennessee
Kelly Sturner, NIMBioS
For further information, please contact Kelly Sturner, Education and Outreach Coordinator, NIMBioS (email: ksturner_at_nimbios.org) or Dr. Suzanne Lenhart, Associate Director of Education and Outreach, NIMBioS (email: lenhart_at_math.utk.edu).