NIMBioS Education & Outreach has been busy this fall with events that have spanned the globe.
- Associate Director Suzanne Lenhart presented at the SAMSA-Masamu Program STEM Education Workshop in Tanzania in November. Held at Arusha Technical College in Arusha, the workshop included discussions with local teachers and college faculty about student STEM activities. Lenhart, who also represented UT where she is a Chancellor’s Professor in the Department of Mathematics, led a session on active learning activities. She co-presented with Jane White, a senior lecturer in math at the University of Bath in the UK and a short-term visitor to NIMBioS in November 2014. The SAMSA-Masamu Program is based at Auburn University. SAMSA is the Southern African Mathematical Sciences Association. The word “Masamu” translates to “mathematics” in the Southern African region, and so the SAMSA-Masamu program serves to promote U.S.-Africa collaboration in mathematics research. The workshop was a part of the SAMSA Annual Conference.
- In October, Lenhart, NIMBioS Education & Outreach Coordinator Greg Wiggins, and former NIMBioS Postdoctoral Fellow Oyita Udiani represented NIMBioS at the Modern Math Workshop in Salt Lake City. Udiani gave a talk at the workshop, which is pre-conference to the annual SACNAS (Society for Advancing Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science) Conference.
- Lenhart helped establish a SACNAS Chapter at UT. Lenhart is serving as Chapter advisor.
- NIMBioS was also represented at the annual Field of Dreams Conference in St. Louis in November where Christina Edholm, a postdoctoral teaching associate in UT’s math department, gave a talk.
- More than 100 participants attended another successful Undergraduate Research Conference at the Interface of Biology and Mathematics. We have your photo album here!
The NIMBioS Education and Outreach program offers a diverse array of activities to meet the educational needs for learners of all ages including K-12 students and teachers, university and college student and faculty, professional industry audiences, and the general public. NIMBioS initiatives focus on the enhancement of education at the interface between mathematics and biology and promote cross-disciplinary approaches to science at all levels.
If you are interested in participating in NIMBioS E&O or partnering to support E&O activities, contact the NIMBioS Education and Outreach office.