|Click on image above to view the video.|
Research Experiences for Undergraduates
Nineteen undergraduates will participate in the 2013 NIMBioS Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU), June 10-August 2, 2013. During the eight-week program, participants live on campus at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UT), and work in teams with NIMBioS postdocs and UT faculty to conduct research at the interface of mathematics and biology. The award includes a stipend, housing and some funding to support travel.
Vital Info about REU 2013
Dates: June 10-August 2, 2013
- Mathematical modeling of fetal electrocardiograms
- Modeling animal disease from coronavirus
- Automatic detection of rare birds from audio recordings
- Modeling the environmental transmission of infectious diseases: Escherichia coli transmission in cattle
- Modeling protein translation and genome evolution
- Modeling animal social network dynamics
About the REU
- Opportunities: Work with world-class researchers, do original research, and present your results at a professional conference
- Skill-building and Career-Oriented: Workshops are provided to build all participants' skills in mathematical modelling and software such as R and/or Matlab as well as sessions on careers and graduate school.
- Teamwork: Bring all your skills for working in a team – students with different areas of expertise, experience and cultural backgrounds will work together and collaboration is key.
- Full-time: As an internship, participants are expected to put in 40 hours a week of effort and be available to work with their team members every day. Exceptions must be approved in advance.
- Challenging: Focus, dedication, positive attitude and good humor are expected of all participants to ensure a rewarding experience for all.
- Fun: Read all about it from our past participants. Besides enjoying working with an enthusiastic group, social activities will include dinner parties, picnics and trips to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
In past years, some teams have included veterinary students in a concurrent Research Experience for Veterinary Students (REV) program. This program is not available at this time.
Participants in past programs have presented their NIMBioS work at regional and national conferences and prepared manuscripts for publication (listed here). Click here for information about the 2012 REU program.
For further information about the program, please contact Kelly Sturner, Education and Outreach Coordinator, NIMBioS (Email: ksturner_at_nimbios.org) or Dr. Suzanne Lenhart, Associate Director of Education, Outreach, and Diversity, NIMBioS (Email: lenhart_at_math.utk.edu).